Thursday 29 July 2010

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you, Aaron Elder. Add him on facebook! Except if you're a girl he'll just pester you on fb chat

Thomas was right, this is the easiest way to share news with people at home...

Speaking of sharing, India has given us all an incredible insight into what it means to give sacrificially, signified most delicately by the generous distribution of the last toilet roll... Of which I, the iron belly of the team, was ludicrously short changed!

Will do my best with the limited time to update those who can be bothered to read...

What monsoon?

As Thomas has already shared, monsoon season is upon us and its like nothing else. Its both brilliant and devastating - on one hand, there is nothing better than hill running in the showering rain, which is our stapler exercise regimen, much to the bemusement to spectating Indians. However, there is nothing more devastating than being caught in the rain without an umbrella - imagine being shot with a power washer whilst on your way to a full day of classroom teaching... so swings and roundabouts.

Pimp skills?

The last that you heard Thomas and I were going to visit some pimps for a chat and on Tuesday we did. First we toured the brothel which is simply hundreds of tiny rooms leading of a giant square and is probably the most unpleasant place I have ever been. Not necessarily because it was dirty and cramped and rat-infested, although all those things are true, but more because all the people there and the general atmosphere of the place was desperate and incredibly sad, not so much intimidating but somber as pimps lay around waiting for there working day to begin. The group session which followed, consisted of half a dozen 20-somethings each working as a pimp. We led on respect and speaking through a translator told parables to get the point across that we should not just respect those who are above us, but also those beneath who we are told we do not need to respect. A fairly simple 'treat others as you would like to be treated' but for them this is a huge life challenge. The guys themselves were incredibly passive and seemed to lack any sense of self-esteem - it was a bizarre experience but challenging and thought provoking.

Stop crying mate, its embarrassing...

Yesterday, I said goodbye to the school that I have been teaching English in which was actually quite tough, I have got to know some of the students really well and they have shared really openly about their lives and backgrounds, many of which are difficult to hear. Meeting people who have been orphaned and alone since they can remember is something that I cannot relate to and I often feel angry that they have not had the same loving and supportive upbringing that I have.
I have also been learning that I should carry my passion for sharing my faith with others home with me. I have a real desire to witness to and share my testimony with others and hope to bring this home... the guys we meet have absolutely nothing, they have no money, no home, no family or support and seemingly no friends, but I know that if they have Jesus in their lives then he can be more than enough.
In this way I am treating the next 3 weeks as a trial for my life at home - I know that 'on mission' it is very easy to be missional and keep your attention fixed on God, but I know that this is something I must carry home with me - and certainly something I am learning.

Mcdonalds rat (speaks for itself)

the highlight of my day was seeing supposed hard man Thomas 'mean' Dean flinching hysterically when i brushed his leg in Mcdonalds after staff had warned us that there was a rat running loose - brilliant! (chortle chortle - editor)

Why not?

If you are so inclined then I personally would love you to pray that God would use me effectively here and that I might increasingly work in his strength and not my own and that I would continue to be enriched by the experience.
For us as a team please pray for more of the same regarding our work and team times which are both running excellently. Also, it would be great if you could pray for the health of the guys and that leaving our projects over the weekend as we prepare to move on to Pune would be a good time - especially as we pray for our students and the people in the community.

time is up and the boys are nagging me to leave - they have their legs crossed and are moaning something about not being able to hold on?!

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment